Re: amd64 installer (Debian From Scratch)

On Wed, 26 May 2004, John Goerzen wrote:

> On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 07:46:10PM -0700, Toshikazu Aiyama, Ph.D. wrote:
> > Hi John,
> >
> > After I reconfigured BIOS setting, now I cannot reproduce the previous errors.
> > But now I get more serious one.  It even refuse to go to booting sequence:
> >
> >   Booting 'Boot vmlinuz-2.6.6amd64'
> > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.6amd64 root=/dev/ram0
> >    [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1400, size=0x264713]
> > initrd /opt/dfsruntime/initrd.dfs
> >    [Linux-initrd @ 0xdbe3a000, 0x1a6000 bytes]
> > Error 28: Selected item cannot fit into memory
>
> Strange.  This looks very much like a bug in Grub.  What BIOS settings
> did you reconfigure?

Just wanted to add that I've just been hit by this too, and I can't find
any bios settings to change. This with the 20040606 2.6 debian-installer
mini.iso (which works fine to install an hp DL145 except that you have to
fix the console-data package).

Anyone with clues on how I can get the system to boot? This is currently
what's keeping us from running debian-amd64 on our new cluster.

/Mattias Wadenstein