Re: Possible migration from i386 to amd64

Oliver Bock <uvtcvruwickt@spammotel.com> writes:

> Hi all,
> I tested the amd64 (pure) environment some time ago and watch the list
> regularly. As we're reaching the point where almost all packages have been
> ported I'd like to think about a possible migration of an existing i386
> system. I can imagine that there a few (if not many) people out there who
> don't really want to throw away a working/configured installation... What
> kind of approaches could be used? Ok, at first there needs to be the
> descision whether one likes a "pure" 64bit system or not:
>
> 1.) 64bit kernel / 32bit userspace
> It should be possible to change to a 64bit-kernel only without touching
> userspace right? Of course you can't use the "pure" 64bit version. Could
> there be a later upgrade to the next point ->

A kernel-image-2.6.6-5-amd64-generic_2.6.6-5_i386.deb is being
prepared and should be available in a few weeks when it has passwd
queue/NEW handling.

Once you have rebootet into that kernel you can (c)debootstrap a
pure64 chroot and start using 64bit programs from within the
chroot. This would be the normal way for anyone wanting to take a
peek. Everyone that commits to pure64 has to install anew.

> 2.) 64bit kernel / 32bit + 64bit userspace
> Is this possible AND sensible, having mixed mode userspace programs? How about
> the libs?

That is only possible with multiarch and that is a long way off.

> 3.) Pure 64bit
> This is my favourite way to go but how (if possible) can one change existing
> libs and programs to their 64bit equivalent? Will there be a kind of "apt-get
> arch-upgrade"?  ;-)

Not possible and not intended for pure64. This will never be supported
by pure64 and would be a major hacking around. If you want to do this
better create a new partition, copy etc and the debconf db over and
then run cdebootstrap and install all previously installed packages
again.

> Please comment on this and correct me where I'm wrong. I'd love to hear of
> some feasable approaches hence avoiding to reinstall a complete nicely
> running system.

MfG
        Goswin