aptitude library soname (and a mini install report)

 I have a pure64 chroot (on a node of a dual-Opteron cluster :) which I'm
soon going to let users loose on  (HPC bioinformatics and comp sci people).
First I have to set up NIS for passwd stuff inside the chroot, though.
It was easy as pie to install dchroot (thanks for the suggestion!) on the RH9
i386 system, though.  I used apt-get source inside the chroot, and then
compiled it after exitting out of the chroot.  I installed the base system
from John's tar file a couple months ago, and my sources.list now has:

deb http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/pure64 sid main
deb ftp://bytekeeper.as28747.net/amd64/jgoerzen/amd64 sid main
deb http://people.debian.org/~jgoerzen/amd64 sid main
#deb http://www.fastwave.net/pamurray/ sid main
# arch -all packages can come from our local i386 mirror?
deb http://apt.mathstat.dal.ca/debian dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/

 Stuff generally works, like emacs and gcc.  It lives in a machine room,
so I haven't bothered with any X stuff.  Good work on getting a useful
system, guys (and gals?).

 Besides that sort of installation report, there's a specific problem

 aptitude-0.2.14.1-2 from
deb http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/pure64 sid main
is linked with the wrong soname for libsigc.
PURETEST root@node8:~# ldd /usr/bin/aptitude
        libsigc-1.2.so => not found
	... everything else ok ...

 I have libsigc++-1.2-5c102 installed, which has
/usr/lib/libsigc-1.2.so.5.0.5.  ldconfig sets up a libsigc-1.2.so.5 symlink,
but the .so is probably only in the -dev package.  aptitude on i386 is
linked with ....so.5, BTW.  Making the symlink makes aptitude work.  (damn
it loads fast on an Opteron compared to a PIII 450 :)

 On i386, aptitude depends on libsigc++-1.2-5c102.  That dep is missing in
the amd64 package.  I guess that makes sense if the deps are automatically
generated.  (I'm not a DD, but I think lib deps can be done that way...)

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter@cor , des.ca)