Re: Get rid of the lib64 dir?

On 04-May-08 12:23, Alex Perry wrote:
> 4.  Why can't we (as in the biarch and the pure64 teams individually)
> simply adopt the proposed multiarch naming convention immediately ?
>
> We'd put softlinks from /lib and /lib64 to the respective multiarch
> locations,

I think that according to the current multiarch proposals the
correct multiarch library paths would be /lib/x86_64-linux and
/lib/i386-linux.

We could make /lib64 a symlink to /lib/x86_64-linux, but what about
/lib/i386-linux? A kind of circular symlink from /lib to /lib/i386-linux?
The same would apply for the /usr/lib64 and /usr/lib paths.

This seems to be a general weakness of the current multiarch proposals.

Maybe the current multiarch proposals should be changed to use the
following paths:

/x86_64-linux/lib
/x86_64-linux/usr/lib

/i386-linux/lib
/i386-linux/usr/lib

and perhaps even

/x86_64-linux/bin
/x86_64-linux/usr/bin

/i386-linux/bin
/i386-linux/usr/bin

etc.

This kind of altered multiarch approach would make your proposal for
using symbolic links to the correct locations possible, i.e.

/lib -> /x86_64-linux/lib
/usr/lib -> /x86_64-linux/usr/lib

Regards
Andreas Jochens