Re: Amd64 status

Hi,

John Goerzen wrote:
How are things doing?

I am quite new on ADM64 and since we have a test machine here only for the next two weeks, but I tried to install Debian AMD64 basically the whole last week.
These are my impressions:

First I read all the things I could find for beginners :).

Because I did not have anything from Debian which was booting the
machine, I used an old Knoppix to install the base system and replaced that later with Debian testing (i386). Now that I had something booting from disk, I installed a second testing into a chroot using amd64 from alioth

deb http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/ sarge main)

mixed with stable(i386)to get a crosscompiler for a 64bit-kernel. Compiling was quite easy, so now I had a 64-bit kernel running a 32-bit system. So i tried to install a mixed 32bit/64bit sarge system (again in a chroot). The most successfull try used

deb http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/ sarge(amd64) main
deb http://farbror.acc.umu.se/amd64/ sarge(amd64) main
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ woody(i386) main

but whatever I did, I always had the problem that /lib and /lib64 were messed up, so e.g. libpopt for 32 bit and 64 bit install both in /lib and because most packages were still 32 bit, but libpopt was 64bit, it did not work - installing the 32-bit version helped - but not for the 64-bit programms again. I read that there might be still argues about the place to put the libs and about bugs in the some packages putting the libs always in /lib ect. - so I gave up with that. Well - the second reason was that I need to have a Fortran90 compiler and at present I have to take a commercial product for this. I tried several, but I could not get one to work on the mixed system.

Then I tried the pure amd64, again in a chroot, this time sid:

deb ftp://bytekeeper.as28747.net/amd64/jgoerzen/amd64 sid main
deb http://people.debian.org/~jgoerzen/amd64/ sid main

This worked quite well, the system seems to lack some packages, but I can live with that. I have all important things for me (which is basicaly gcc, cvs) and at least one of the commercial compilers seems to work.

 Do we need an autobuilder?
If this increases the available packages - yes.

Also thanks for all the people working on this. Without you, the machine would still run Suse. :/

Frank Loeffler