Creating a usable pure64 environment

Hi,

I've been trying to set up a pure64 chroot environment on our first
Opteron based system here, and I have run into a couple of problems.
I'm using the packages from:

deb ftp://bytekeeper.as28747.net/amd64/jgoerzen/amd64 sid main
deb http://people.debian.org/~jgoerzen/amd64/ sid main

I'm trying to get enough set up so I can build further Debian packages
of things, but I need:

linux-kernel-headers

to get libc6-dev and various others installed.  I figured that this
might not be architecture independent, so I pulled apart an i386
version, decremented the version number and changed it to be
Architecture: all, and rebuilt it.  Maybe that's my problem...

So that got libc6-dev and sundry things installed, but the next one
missing before I can seriously start building is perl-modules.

I've downloaded it by hand from current unstable, patched it, but it
fails to build, with what looks like a floating point difference meaning
that it fails tests:

pure64-dewey:/usr/src/debs/perl-5.8.3/t# ./perl base/num.t
1..50
ok 1
ok 2
ok 3
not ok 4 # 2.52961610670718e-321
ok 5
not ok 6 # 2.52961610670718e-321
ok 7
not ok 8 # 2.52961610670718e-321
ok 9

I mean, 10^-321 is pretty darned close to zero...  Should I just hack
the script to make it pass, or is this why perl-modules isn't in there,
or is there a deeper reason?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
					Andrew McMillan

Andrew @ Catalyst .Net .NZ  Ltd,  PO Box 11-053,  Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/             PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)916-7201       MOB: +64(21)635-694      OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
      Make things as simple as possible, but no simpler - Einstein