problem installing modules in kernel 2.4.25, and some general questions

 In a woody chroot + deb http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/ sarge main,
which I made by following the instructions on
http://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/1314/21/debian-amd64-howto.html,
I built a 2.4.25 kernel.  (I had to change gcc to gcc-3.3 in the Makefile,
since gcc isn't part of the alioth repository, only gcc-3.3.  This wasn't
mentioned in the install instruction in the HOWTO, BTW.)

When I did
make ARCH=x86_64 modules_install
I got:
make -C  arch/i386/kernel modules_install
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.25/arch/i386/kernel'
mkdir -p /lib/modules/2.4.25/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/
cp cpuid.o msr.o /lib/modules/2.4.25/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/
cp: cannot stat `cpuid.o': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `msr.o': No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [_modinst__] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.25/arch/i386/kernel'
make: *** [_modinst_arch/i386/kernel] Error 2

 Everything else worked, and the bzImage booted fine.  I was even able to
chroot into an amd64_pure_test setup.  64bit GNU/Linux! :)  Anyway, I'm too
busy right now to look after this bug, but it's  probably a simple error in a
arch/i386/kernel/Makefile.  Bonus karma for whoever takes the time to do the
dirty work, I guess.

 BTW, do the instructions for making an amd64 chroot as given in the HOWTO
produce a useable setup?  At work, we've got a Microway cluster of dual
Opterons, and we want to run MPI and stuff like that.  Is amd64 stable
enough to be worth setting up a chroot for people who want to actually use
it a 64bit address space and the speed advantage of AMD64 code?  I'll keep
running a 64bit kernel for the NUMA advantages (though Microway shipped the
cluster with two DIMMs on one CPU and none on the other.  Don't know how
much of a differce it would make to move one DIMM to the other CPU, since
the dual channel memory controller benefits from two DIMMs too...  Our next
cluster is going to have RAM up to its neck :)

 And are we going to keep calling it amd64 once Intel brings out CPUs that
run the same instruction set?  x86-64 (correctly) rubs in the fact that many
of x86's warts are still around :->

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter@cor , des.ca)