Re: Biarch chroot on a 686 NFS server?

On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 18:20, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I've got an AMD64 rackmount cluster, and I'd like the "head node" and
> NFS(-root) server to be an old dual-PIII machine.  Can I safely upgrade
> the chroot on the server to the biarch version, or will it try to
> execute stuff from the 64-bit libs and barf on the illegal instructions?

Okay, so I'm impatient and went ahead and did it.  Seems stable thus
far...

The faq talks about installing things like gcc and gcc-3.3, so I assumed
that some special version of those would be in the alioth archive.  But
there is no upgraded version vs. sarge, only things like lib64c6(-dev),
slang, expat, ncurses, and some X stuff that looks like it's in
unstable.  So are sarge's current compilers capable of building a
32/64-bit kernel, as described in the FAQ?  And what of the biarch dpkg,
apt, etc.?

Has anyone built a 32/64 kernel with a stock-ish .config?  I saw a Feb 5
post on this list saying there's one in sid, but don't see it in the
main Debian pool...

Zeen,

-Adam P.

http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/The_Best_Stuff_In_The_World_Today_Cafe.ogg