Re: 4GB RAM

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 09:03:30AM +0100, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
> NForce3 150 Pro chipset) with 4GB of memory installed: The BIOS (and
> thus Linux) recognises only between about 2.5GB and 3.5GB of RAM,
>
> Does anyone have any sort of clue what is happening here?

You have to read the mainboard manual. It states that this is normal
behavior due to memory space allocation of chips on the mainboard and
graphics card.
4 GB minus 0.4 GB for mainboard chipset minus AGP apterture size sounds
about right.

It's a limitation of the 32 bit architecture. It does not happen with
server mainboards in 40 bit flat or 36 bit PSE mode.

--
"Well, I just... I thought... well, I just thought you'd be teaching me
more, that's all." "I'm teaching you things all the time," said Lu-Tze.