Re: Concerns about AMD64 port

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004, Chris Cheney wrote:

> binary only apps left unported, so all this time spent making multi-arch
> work for AMD64 will have been time wasted.

people keep saying this, and it's starting to annoy me.  There is more to
'multi-arch' than AMD64!!  In fact, just about every architecture Debian
supports would like multiarch support:
  PPC/PPC64
  Sparc/Sparc64
  ARM/ARM26 (thumb)
  x86/AMD64
  MIPS: o32, n32, n64   <--- this is what i'm interested in
  S/390: 31(?) and 64-bit
and there has been talk from the pgcc-type folk about supporting
  i386/i486/i586/i686
(and, presumably 68030/68040)
as multi-arch, too, to allow the best optimized binaries for each platform.

Please, this flame war has gone on long enough.  We know that some people
would like their AMD64 *now*.  We know other people would like to get
multiarch working.  "Can't we all get along?"  I don't think we need to
keep forecasting the end of the world ("debian will end because all the
machines will be x86-64 and so everyone will migrate to red hat") and
maligning well-intentioned people with calling this or that project
useless or a time-waster.
  --scott

Leitrim agent Richard Tomlinson radar early warning quiche class struggle
bomb assassination politics Qaddafi terrorist Mk 48 UKUSA planning
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )