Re: Concerns about AMD64 port

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 12:17:29PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 12:52:03PM -0500, C. Scott Ananian wrote:
<snip>
> I would like to see this apparent consensus to put off an AMD64 port
> reversed.  Actually, from what I've seen today, the consensus seems to
> be the opposite: go ahead with it now.

<snip>

> If x86-64 does catch on in a big way -- and with Intel's backing, it
> looks like it might -- what is actually happening here is that Debian
> will be unusable in any but 32-bit mode on a large number of 64-bit
> computers.  And for no reason other than our own sloth.

I agree, in another thread I mentioned we need a contigency plan, well it looks
like, we need a plan in general.
Its been in the press that AMD thinks that in a fews year or so, they will not sell
any 32 bit CPU's, all will be migrated to X86-64.
As the old saying goes, if you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
I think its good to get a valid discussion about this, even though it fills up the
mail boxes, it needs to be thought about.

Rthoreau

<snip>