Re: Concerns about AMD64 port

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 11:30:35AM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > So we put everything in /lib64 now, and add on /lib later.
>
> The problem is that those amd64 debs that are build will almost

[ gratuitous snipping ]

> That's why you're likely to have to rebuild everything for amd64 after

Yes, but:

 1. Rebuilding stuff is not hard;

 2. Upgrading stuff is not hard.

In fact, every autobuilder does #1 every day, each time a new version
appears in sid.

For the end-user, I don't see any reason why the transition would be any
more difficult than an apt-get dist-upgrade.

> Personally, I think the multiarch stuff is going to take quite a while
> longer to be finished and I think it'd be useful to have something for
> people to use until then that's 64bit, but I'm in the minority on this.

Let me try to make your minority a little larger then :-)

-- John