Re: A Radical Multi-Arch Counter-Proposal

On 24 Jan 2004, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

> > On amd64, we'd be asking about replacing each conffile twice. On mips,
> > apparently three times.
>
> Thats the price for biarch/treearch. But I realy don't thing its
> happening at all. Libs should not have conffiles.

note that, for upgrades to work properly, both abi versions must be
upgraded at once [otherwise we'd have a new library version using an old
conffile or vice-versa].  Since both upgrades are happening
simultaneously, it shouldn't be *too* hard to recognize and elide the
duplicated dialog.

As part of the screaming mob, I think doing so is essential to make
multiarch feel like a first-class port.
  --scott

EZLN Secretary cryptographic milita Ft. Bragg Uzi shortwave ASW genetic
Saddam Hussein anthrax Columbia Rule Psix OVER THE HORIZON RADAR BATF
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )