Re: Porting machine

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Bart Trojanowski wrote:

> * Mattias Wadenstein <maswan@acc.umu.se> [030623 10:52]:
> > > Optionally the / system could run SuSE 64bit.  It already has a
> > > mostly ported distribution which may be useful for comparison...
> > > however, I found that a 32bit base system work well enough.
> > > Essentially the kernel needs to be 64bit for us to do our work.
> >
> > A SuSE 64bit enviroment I can setup quickly and give out a few roots, but
> > the disk with SuSE has things on it that we'd like preserved, so I'd
> > rather get things over to the other disk[s] rapidly and pull that one out
> > in case something goes wrong.
>
> All work will be done in /home and /amd64, the rest of the tree will be
> untouched.  / can either be debian/sid or SuSE and is only used to
> restore /amd64 if something goes wrong.

Ok. SuSE / and an /amd64 debian/sid setup. Things might be missing, but
for the debian enviroment they should be possible to deal with at least.

> > > Developers will need root access.  If that is a problem, they at least
> > > need root access to the chrooted environment.
> >
> > There might be a slight delay as we setup another network segment, but I
> > don't think it will pose much of a problem. I'll talk it over with
> > coadmins to be sure.
>
> If possible you should probably wait for a day or two before you start,
> to see if anyone doesn't have competing requests.

Well, the setup is done now. Except for accounts. Any good suggestions on
how to handle that? Root accounts only on request to individual developers
though.

Is there an irc channel for this port yet?

/Mattias Wadenstein