Re: How to port a library package to amd64?

Bart Trojanowski <bart@jukie.net> writes:

> A while ago I've started a page on the Debian WiKi to capture common
> stuff related to the amd64 port [1].  Recently the IRC folk have started
> collecting questions and answers there.  Whenever something useful gets
> asked and answered on IRC, someone will (or at least should) add it to
> the FAQ [2].  I hope that the better questions will eventually be
> captured by KMR or Nate into the official FAQ on alioth.
>
> [1] http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?debian-amd64
> [2] http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?debian-amd64-faq

I tried to correct some outdated questions and added one on my
own. But I couldn't commit the changes to the old file, just make a
new one.

Also if I understood that right some joker just erased the page yesterday.

I don't think its a good idea to use the wiki for this. Alioth has a
BTS, message boards, job tracker, .... Lets use those.

> Anyway I've just added a question I've been asked about a dozen times
> now (see subject).  I hope it will help some keen individuals that want
> to start porting their favorite libs to amd64.
>
> [ Arnd, I would appreciate a quick read from you.  Feel free to fix any
> mistakes I've made. ]

Arnd: can you come onto irc at some time for some brainstorming?

> Happy porting.

The mechanism and method used so far is being questioned currently.
Maybe we should resolve that before we start porting any more libs.

MfG
        Goswin