Is AMD64 a native 32 bit architecture?

I've read through the email in the archive. And while a trivial 64-bit port for amd64 has been rejected, I don't recall seeing a similar discussion of a trivial 32-bit port being used as a base instead of running on top of a i386 port.

What I'm considering is a 32 bit port to _amd64, with a gcc default of -m32. This seems roughly synonymous (at the 50K foot level) with changing from _i386 to _amd64 sooner rather than later for the the 32 bit libraries and 32 biarch tool chain. Of course the 64 bit (or 32/64 bit) packages already ported could be added. Does the ability to generate a self hosting _amd64 port (admittedly mostly 32 bit) sooner rather than later provide any more traction?

Comments, flames, pointers to where this discussion has happened 100 times before?

-Steve