Re: amd64 and dpkg and so

* Junichi Uekawa <dancer@netfort.gr.jp> [030904 20:27]:
> > And marc.miller@amd.com writes:
> > > They won't always conflict, most notably in the case of libraries.
> > > 64-bit libraries are in /usr/lib64 and 32-bit libraries are in
> > > /usr/lib.
> >
> > Presumably the packages for the libraries will have different names,
> > and thus different entries in /usr/share/doc, so again that wouldn't
> > be a problem.  (I haven't followed the discussion about this very
> > closely though.)
>
> That presumption is not quite correct.
> These libraries have the same soname and installed in different directories,
> and 32-bit and 64-bit versions only differ by the architecture field;
> i.e. they probably share /usr/share/doc and /etc.

Here is what packages should be generated by building glibc, IMNSHO:

- architecture agnostic packages (ie: no binaries)
	glibc-doc
	locales
	nscd

- configuration files and other non binary data that currently comes in
  binary packages (/etc/*, /usr/share/zoneinfo/*, etc):
	glibc-common

- non-library binaries (stuff like /sbin/ldconfig), can be either 32-bit
  or 64-bit, but you can only install one or the other:
	glibc-tools

- headers (currently come in -dev, but that should not contain them)
	glibc-headers

- 32bit libraries (only /lib/ and /usr/lib/ stuff)
	libc6
	libc6-dbg
	libc6-dev
	libc6-dpkg
	libc6-pic
	libc6-prof

- 64bit binaries (only /lib/ and /usr/lib/ stuff)
	lib64c6
	lib64c6-dbg
	lib64c6-dev
	lib64c6-dpkg
	lib64c6-pic
	lib64c6-prof

Why like this?

 - it's clean!
 - you can have a 32-bit only sytem, a 64-bit only sytem, or a hybrid
   system
 - no packages steps over the feet of the other (except for packages
   that include /bin/* utilities)

But, it is a bit of work.  In the current glibc, lib64c6 depends on
libc6 because all the /etc/ and /usr/share files are only in libc6 and
not in lib64c6... so you cannot have a 64-bit only system.

You may say that the above split is a _lot of work_, but I think you are
doing just as much work to figure out what files should or should not go
into the lib64c6 packages... of course I don't know because Arnd did
that package :)

B.

--
				WebSig: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/sig/