Re: amd64 and dpkg and so

That is so true. The CPU is capable of running 32-bit software in 64-bit
mode as fast as in native 32-bit mode - whatever you do, you HAVE to be
able to run standard 32-bit software otherwise nobody's going to use the
64-bit Linux.
Mind you, not everything is available as 64-bit port yet and not
everything will be available as 64-bit port for a long time.

So yes, you're absolutely right. Not being able to run 32-bit software
in 64-bit mode is not very clever however given the CPU, I don't think
it's possible to restrict a 64-bit distro like that - how would you even
want to do that, the kernel and all the libs and everything can be
64-bit so the CPU is going to run in Long Mode (that's what AMD named
the 64-bit mode) but any 32-bit code will still run, I don't see a way
to stop it from running

Martin