Re: amd64 toolchain

* rf@q-leap.de <rf@q-leap.de> [030715 08:42]:
> is there a somewhat detailed description of how to convert a woody
> system on an opteron box to use the amd64 toolchain, and 64 bit
> kernel.

We've been working with sarge/testing.

There is no such document.

> I installed Arnds packages, but was not able to build a kernel
> e.g., or any other 64 bit binary.

The default compilation output of that toolchain is 32bit.

I've solved that with a simple script; it also lies to dpkg about the
architecture.

Get this script: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/debian/amd64/scripts/gcc.bart
and put it in /usr/bin/gcc.bart, then

cd /usr/bin
rm -f gcc g++
ln -s gcc.bart gcc
ln -s gcc.bart g++

Your kernel should install now.

You can also get the kernel from:

http://www.jukie.net/~bart/debian/amd64/packages/kernel-patch-2.4.21-amd64/

Note that if you want to build 20030707.1 you will need kerne-source
2.4.21 which is available only in sid/unstable, iirc.

Regards,
Bart.

--
				WebSig: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/sig/