Re: Porting machine

* Mattias Wadenstein <maswan@acc.umu.se> [030623 10:52]:
> > Optionally the / system could run SuSE 64bit.  It already has a
> > mostly ported distribution which may be useful for comparison...
> > however, I found that a 32bit base system work well enough.
> > Essentially the kernel needs to be 64bit for us to do our work.
>
> A SuSE 64bit enviroment I can setup quickly and give out a few roots, but
> the disk with SuSE has things on it that we'd like preserved, so I'd
> rather get things over to the other disk[s] rapidly and pull that one out
> in case something goes wrong.

All work will be done in /home and /amd64, the rest of the tree will be
untouched.  / can either be debian/sid or SuSE and is only used to
restore /amd64 if something goes wrong.

> > Developers will need root access.  If that is a problem, they at least
> > need root access to the chrooted environment.
>
> There might be a slight delay as we setup another network segment, but I
> don't think it will pose much of a problem. I'll talk it over with
> coadmins to be sure.

If possible you should probably wait for a day or two before you start,
to see if anyone doesn't have competing requests.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,
Bart

--