Re: Porting machine

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Bart Trojanowski wrote:

> * Mattias Wadenstein <maswan@acc.umu.se> [030623 09:47]:
> > What kind of software setup do you/we need?
>
> I think the following would be sufficient:
>
> - debian/sid install in /
> - 64 bit kernel
> - biarch modutils
> - / duplicated in /amd64
> - chrooted environment from /amd64
>
> The chrooted env will require
>
> - /home bound to /amd64/home
> - a /home/* dir for each developer
> - proc be mounted on /amd64/proc

Ok.

> Extra thrills:
>
> - serial console
> - a way to reboot the system remotely

I'll look into that again, but so far the service processor seems a bit
buggy/incomplete in that regard. At least when it comes to the serial
console. :/

> These we can do once the system is setup...
>
> - install biarch toolchain in chrooted /amd64
>
> Optionally the / system could run SuSE 64bit.  It already has a
> mostly ported distribution which may be useful for comparison...
> however, I found that a 32bit base system work well enough.
> Essentially the kernel needs to be 64bit for us to do our work.

A SuSE 64bit enviroment I can setup quickly and give out a few roots, but
the disk with SuSE has things on it that we'd like preserved, so I'd
rather get things over to the other disk[s] rapidly and pull that one out
in case something goes wrong.

> Developers will need root access.  If that is a problem, they at least
> need root access to the chrooted environment.

There might be a slight delay as we setup another network segment, but I
don't think it will pose much of a problem. I'll talk it over with
coadmins to be sure.

/Mattias Wadenstein