Re: amd64 kernel

Hello all,

I have put modified kernel-patch-2.4.21-amd64 and kernel-package on
http://jukie.net/~bart/debian/amd64/.

The kernel-package modification splits off amd64 into it's own
KPKG_ARCH.  I don't think that is the way we want to go in the long run,
but for now while the dpkg-* tools are in flux, it makes it a lot easier
to generate a _amd64.deb.  Note, I plan on changing it back such that
KPKG_ARCH==i386 and KPKG_SUBARCH==amd64.

I don't think it matter much for the kernel, anyway.

As far as the kernel-image binary modules... the kernel boots and I have
been using it for development for a few days.  You will need Arnd's
modified dpkg to install the kernel-image*_amd64.deb, and you will need
Arnd's biarch modutils if you need module support.

I am likely to release another 2.4.21 in the next few days.  I have (at
least) the following things to change:
 - few missing symbols in modules of -amd64 and -amd64-smp kernels
   (mostly in video4linux, iirc)
 - 32bit hdparm cannot be used (missing ioctl32), but 64bit hdparm works
 - once kernel-source-2.4.21 is available I can remove the .20->.21 patch

Arnd, thanks for all your help.

Regards,
Bart.

--