Re: Hardware donation

On 2003-06-12 10:34:13, Darin Strait wrote:
> Firstly, the following article would indicate that gcc might very much prefer
> two processor machines, for some reason:
> 4P Opteron Kernel Compile Times
> http://www.amdzone.com/articleview.cfm?ArticleID=1289

It is suspect that doubling the number of processorss from one to two
gives you more than 50% reduction in run-time (i.e. 97/256 = 38%).  I
would put the chips on make spawing more than 2 concurrent compile
processes (article does not state that gcc was used).

Doubling it again from two to four processors, gives you a run-time of
75/97 = 77% which sounds about right to me (without ever having compiled
on a smp box).

/Allan
--
Allan Wind