Re: Hardware donation

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 02:56:56PM -0400, Bart Trojanowski wrote:

> At this time a lowest of the low end AMD64 box will run you about $2k
> USD.  It will include 2 Opteron 240 CPUs, an MSI K8D master mobo, ~ 1G
> of RAM, and a modest hard-disk.
>
> That is way more then enough for any porting efforts and we would
> appreciate such a donation.
>
> I am not sure how it would be used... and am hoping to start a
> discussion on the topic.
>
> Right now I can see three possible uses...
>
> 1) used for general development
> 2) used for automated builds		(would require a lot more space)

What size is a "modest" harddisk these days? I just built myself an Athlon
box and it has a 120GB (IDE) disk, at least 60GB should be standard with new
boxes these days? I can tell you all m68k buildds run with a lot less
diskspace, between 4 and 10GB typically, maybe some have more. And it's
working pretty well. The package requiring the most diskspace nowadays is
probably XFree86, in 4.3 it is supposed to need 4GB free space. You probably
need another GB, maybe two, for each chroot including all the packages
needed to build, so I think with 10GB you can easily run a buildd, if you
have 20GB, you can also comfortably setup chroots for stable and security
buildds, plus a chroot for users, if they don't waste too much space with
their source packages. The buildds typically delete the source packages
again after building, so you really don't need that much space (unless you
have a lot of failing builds and you want to investigate). But this machine
would probably be two or three orders of magnitude faster than any m68k, so
you could just rebuild any package if you run low on diskspace.

Christian
--
It's not easy being green.                                    Kermit the frog
http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/woody