Re: kernel image 2.4.21-pre3-amd64-smp doesn't boot actual opteron

On Tue, 2003-05-27 at 13:24, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I installed the kernel image from Arnd's web page, but it doesn't boot
> on my machine.  The machine is a Arima motherboard with dual Opteron
> 244, 8GB main memory.  The kernel spits some normal stuff out on the
> console, then a line starting "CPU 0" and the machine reboots.  It is
> difficult to read the messages because they are only there for a split
> second.

A locally-compiled kernel works, but only because I set the arch to K7.
I must admit I haven't been able to build a kernel with 2.4.20 +
2.4.21-rc3 + x86-64.org patches.  I installed all the compilers and
whatnot for biarch, but I get a failure at the very first compile:

cc1: error: code model `kernel' not supported in the 32 bit mode

I'm not sure how the kernel is supposed to be built on this arch.  I'm
x-compiling from i686 but it isn't working out for me, obviously.

Any hints?

-jwb