Re: systemd woes continue

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 11:46:06AM +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> is just annoying. Please let's have a more constructive discussion, after
> all, the previous issues on alpha were not caused by systemd either but
> a bug in glibc for alpha.

I would not be so quick to blame glibc. (If you can point me to the
actual bug in glibc I will reconsider my opinion).

Systemd sidesteps glibc and makes direct geteuid, etc., syscalls.
Because Alpha did not have these syscalls systemd had a nasty hack
only compiled on Alpha which I was worried would break one day.
Systemd is one of the reasons why I supported getting the geteuid
compatible syscalls into the Alpha kernel.

Systemd may have come right because it was re-compiled against
recent linux headers and picked up the new Linux syscalls on Alpha,
and, if so, it will only work with a 5.1 or newer kernel.

I have been meaning to test this theory and re-look at the relevant
systemd code and consider whether it needs further patching (maybe
the Alpha specific hack can now be removed) but haven't got around to
it.

Cheers,
Michael.