Re: Updated installation images for Debian Ports 2019-04-20

On May 6, 2019, at 11:17 PM, Frank Scheiner <frank.scheiner@web.de
<mailto:frank.scheiner@web.de>> wrote:

I just tried the 2019-04-20 ISO on my DS25. Unfortunately the disc drive
cannot be detected by the installer so I'm stuck at this point.

As far as I know, a lot of Alpha-specific hardware needs firmware but I
haven’t looked into creating images with firmware yet.

Yeah, but this problems seems purely due to the pata-modules missing in
the initramfs.

UPDATE: On second thought, [2] and [3] seem to be unrelated to what is
available in the initramfs of the installer. From what I saw, the
drivers from the sata-modules UDEB are actually included in the
initramfs, but the needed drivers from the pata-modules UDEB are not.

Where is this configured? [4] includes the sata-modules UDEB as
optional, but no pata-modules UDEB. So is this maybe configured in [4]?
If yes, I can provide a patch on salsa.d.o to fix that issue, just need
a confirmation.

Here:
https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team/linux/tree/master/debian/installer/modules/alpha-generic

Try to understand the include logic first before sending a PR. A lot of
modules are actually included using the “common” directory.

Could you explain a little more? With the "common" directory you mean [5]?

[5]:
https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team/linux/tree/master/debian/installer/modules/

The way I understand it, the configuration files in [6] control what
UDEBs are built for the alpha kernel used for the installer, as they
seem to include the configuration files from the assumed "common" super
directory which list the drivers to include for the respective
devices/protocols/standards/etc..

And the configuration in [7] seems to control what UDEBs are installed
in the initramfs. This would make sense for [7] as it looks like the
alpha configuration file for the installer CDROM and the initramfs for
this CDROM should contain all needed drivers to be able to access the
used disc drive. Hence I think we need to update [7].

The question remains if one needs to specify dependencies explicitly or
if dependencies are resolved during build. I'll try to correlate the
modules in the initramfs with what is configured in [7] and come to a
conclusion.

[6]:
https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team/linux/tree/master/debian/installer/modules/alpha-generic

[7]: