Re: Updated installation images 2019-01-20

Hi!

On 1/21/19 10:09 AM, Frank Scheiner wrote:
> I did not yet check the ISO for Alpha, but what kernel version and type
> (non-MP/MP) does it include actually?

It always contains the kernel version that was in unstable during the
time when the debian-installer was built, in this case 4.19.16-1:

> https://packages.qa.debian.org/l/linux/news/20190117T230016Z.html

> Because we had that problem with non-MP kernels not working on many - if
> not all - Alpha machines earlier. And although it was actually fixed by
> Michael, the fix is only included since Linux v5.0-rc1 according to the
> tagging as I understand it, see [1] for details.
>
> [1]:
> https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/6ab7d47bcbf0144a8cb81536c2cead4cde18acfe

I see. I don't know, however, when 5.0 will be part of unstable. Mind that
we're going into freeze soonish and we are going to end up with whatever
is the next LTS kernel.

So, it might be possible to backport this fix and open a PR in Salsa.

> So maybe it'd be better to delay the rebuild until after Linux 5.0
> reaches unstable?
Well, I can just continue building new images and put them into a separate
subfolder for testing. We don't need to block the other arches because
of this particular bug.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz