Re: Updated installation images 2019-01-20

Dear Adrian,

Hi!

On 1/20/19 9:40 PM, Bob Tracy wrote:
Thank you!  I'll give the Alpha version a try in the next few days.
Waiting on a 4.18 kernel build: should be done in the next 24 hours
or so.

The klibc package included in the current images is affected by a
serious bug which breaks the boot on nearly all architecture [1].

I will therefore have to build new images once the new klibc package
has been synced on the FTP mirrors.

I did not yet check the ISO for Alpha, but what kernel version and type
(non-MP/MP) does it include actually?

Because we had that problem with non-MP kernels not working on many - if
not all - Alpha machines earlier. And although it was actually fixed by
Michael, the fix is only included since Linux v5.0-rc1 according to the
tagging as I understand it, see [1] for details.

[1]:
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/6ab7d47bcbf0144a8cb81536c2cead4cde18acfe

So maybe it'd be better to delay the rebuild until after Linux 5.0
reaches unstable?

Cheers,
Frank