Re: PWS 433au (Miata) recovery update

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 12:19:52AM +0000, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
> (much useful information set in the appropriate historical context)

Thank you for your thoughts.

The earlier reported problem with "/lib/systemd/systemd-udevd" evidently
requiring AF_UNIX socket support to be built-in rather than modular has
been confirmed.  Setting "CONFIG_UNIX=y" in the kernel configuration was
enough to get me past that particular problem I was seeing with the
initial ramdisk.  So, per advice I was given a long time ago, *do*
examine the "systemd" README file under "/usr/share/doc": many kernel
configuration requirements are mentioned there.  As far as gleaning the
additional udev-related info, one *might* infer it from the error
messages produced by the executable, *or* one can examine the udev-
related files under "/lib/systemd/system", one of which explicitly
mentions AF_UNIX in the context of a restricted address family.

I also note that the current "initramfs-tools" have evidently forgotten
how to automatically check and mount local file systems *other* than "/"
and "/usr".  Every boot since restoring my PWS thus far has dropped me
into emergency mode with everything mounted read-write and ready to go
(including swap) *other* than the local non-tmpfs file systems.
Manually running the appropriate flavor of "fsck" and mounting the file
systems before exiting emergency mode results in the expected normal
startup of multi-user system services.

"journalctl -xb" has, for the case of one such file system that didn't
get checked/mounted, the following messages:

(...)
-- The job identifier is 271 and the job result is done.
Dec 21 13:02:10 smirkin systemd[1]: Starting of /dev/sda2 not supported.