Re: Bug#399608: fixed in sysvinit 2.88dsf-59.1
- To: Andreas Henriksson <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Cc: John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <email@example.com>, Debian Bug Tracking System <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email@example.com, "Tim Dijkstra (tdykstra)" <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Ivan Vilata i Balaguer <email@example.com>, Petter Reinholdtsen <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Clint Adams <email@example.com>, Manoj Srivastava <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Debian sysvinit maintainers <email@example.com>, Michael Biebl <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: Bug#399608: fixed in sysvinit 2.88dsf-59.1
- From: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 19:52:12 +0100
- Message-id: <CAPweEDzvHBK9OUipm7Bt_P3MhCWK=UdQYVFOiWhrHZtU7saM9g@mail.gmail.com>
- In-reply-to: <20150517144851.GA2850@fatal.se>
- References: <email@example.com> <20150517144851.GA2850@fatal.se>
On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 3:48 PM, Andreas Henriksson <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> Hello Adrian!
> Thanks for raising awareness about this issue. If there's anything
> I can do to help please tell me. That the new util-linux version hasn't
> been built yet sounds like it can't be avoided as it was just uploaded
> and unfortunately the sysvinit and util-linux update is a lockstep
> upgrade where both change at the same time as things are moved between
> the packages. There's no intermediate step possible, because the
> moved binaries always needs to be available at all times and thus
> have tight dependencies in both directions. Not sure how dependencies
> affects the build of these packages though.... They should both be
> able to build on systems with older versions of the packages installed
> and build independently.
that sounds like the kind of thing that would cause nightmare
circular build dependencies for anyone porting to a new architecture
[which i'm considering doing: mvp from icubecorp].
would that be correct - that if there *is* no "older version" it
would now be impossible to build both [or either] of the packages - or
am i mistaken?
if it is correct, do you happen to know if they would cross-build, at all?