Re: new radeon firmware for 3.11.0-rcX

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 06:47:22PM -0500, Bob Tracy wrote:
> Just a heads-up, since many Alpha users have Radeon cards...  If you
> have KMS enabled and you're experimenting with the latest 3.11.0-rcX
> kernels, you probably want to grab an up-to-date snapshot of at *least*
> the "radeon" firmware subdirectory.

Thanks for the heads-up.

I also noted in the changelog of the recent upload to debian-ports of the
xserver radeon video driver a comment to the effect that KMS is now only
supported.  This may be problematic to anyone running a radeon card, a
stock standard Debian kernel and X-window on Alpha, as the kernel radeon
module is now so large that it fails to load due to relocation errors.  To
run X-window now with a radeon card on Alpha will likely require building
your own kernel with radeon built in the kernel.

(Another kernel module that I have noted has got so large that it cannot be
loaded is btrfs, so you can only use btrfs if you spin your own kernel with
btrfs built in.)

Cheers
Michael.