Re: gdm deprecated?

On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 09:18:34PM -0500, Bob Tracy wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 06:26:58PM +1200, Michael Cree wrote:
> > gdm3 has just been built on Alpha and I am now uploading it to Debian-Ports.
>
> > Would be interesting to see if #681195 is fixed though I see that the last
> > comment on the bug report points out that the problem is actually in
> > gnome-settings-daemon.
>
> And there's a new version of *that* pending, if I haven't already
> installed it.

I have just installed the cinnamon desktop to try it out and it pulled in
gnome-settings-daemon and, guess what, the bug is still there.  It still
crashes.  I remember this bug: it crashes when trying to load a plugin.
I saw it two or three years ago, but never really resolved it. G-s-d came
right about the time we got some optimisation bugs fixed in the C-compiler
so I had thought it was probably due to the bad gcc-4.4 compiler.  Hmmm,
maybe I thought wrong...

I have just checked the bug reports list for g-s-d and I am quite
astonished by the large number of crash/segfault bug reports against it.

I have no plans to investigate the g-s-d crash any further.  It is up to
someone else if they want Gnome to run on Alpha.

Cheers
Michael.