Re: Latest Complete Linux Distro for Alpha

On Sun, November 25, 2012 8:50 pm, Rafael Ruiz wrote:
> As far as I know, the only distibution GNU/Linux for Alpha in active
> development is Gentoo/Linux.
> There are attempts to recover Debian, but I think it is not stable yet.

Yes, Debian Alpha is being maintained at Debian Ports.  Only the unstable
distribution is available however Debian is now frozen so it is reasonably
close to stable.

We have no installer but you can install using debootstrap.  Instructions
are on the alphalinux.org wiki.

The installation is reasonably up to date.  Gnome doesn't work (gdm
crashes) but
KDE works.  Other desktops work (xfce, awesome) too.  Most desktop
software is
working well, but we don't have libreoffice (fails to build for some
strange reason
that I couldn't make sense of).

Cheers
Michael.