Re: iceweasel issues (update)

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 11:04:14PM +1200, Michael Cree wrote:
> On 28/04/12 09:32, Bob Tracy wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 12:42:10PM +1200, Michael Cree wrote:
> >> I am fairly certain that the crash is this:
> >>
> >> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=660960
> >>
> >> The backtraces I got all ended in madvise() --- which is what the bug
> >> report is about.
> >
> > The available facts fit the theory, so I added a mention of what we've
> > been seeing on Alpha to the bug report.  Mike's immediate reply
> > indicated two things: (1) he's actively working the issue; and (2) the
> > underlying cause seems to be someone overlooking the possibility of an
> > other-than-4k page size (Alpha has an 8k page size).
>
> Yes, it's a dual issue, namely that the code first assumes an incorrect
> 4K page size then it does not properly check the return value from
> madvise and recalls it again if it did not appear to work.
>
> I have finally got iceweasel version 10.0.6esr-2 to build and have
> uploaded to debian-ports unreleased.  I then discovered it still has the
> madvise infinite looping problem, and have only just now found out about
> a workaround, so feel free to get down the source to iceweasel (make
> sure you get version 10.0.6esr-2+alpha) and get the patch from:
>
> https://bug746112.bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=616080
>
> modify the test for __powerpc__ to __alpha__, apply it, and build and
> try that.

I'll give it a shot at some point over the next few days.  Good to hear
from you again.  It has been a while...

Slightly related to the above, I've *finally* caught up with all the
updates for unstable on Alpha.  Haven't done much as far as actually
testing any of it to see if I've still got a working graphical
environment.

Bob Tracy          |  "Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.  Set
rct@frus.com       |   a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his