Re: /bin/login and utmp updates

Bob,

On 29/05/2012, at 4:54 PM, Bob Tracy wrote:
I mentioned somewhat off-handedly that "utmp" on my alpha wasn't getting
updated properly for console login sessions (tty1, tty2, etc.).  The
issue seems to be the way that the "login" package gets built. For the official alpha packages up through 1:4.1.5-1 at least, "/bin/login" does
NOT update the utmp file with session information for console logins.

I see the latest src:shadow package (version 1:4.1.5.1-1) includes the following in the changelog:

* New upstream release:
- login: log into utmp(x) but not into wtmp (this is done by pam_lastlog). Log to utmp(x) was broken by the fix for #605329. Closes: 659957

So looks like it is fixed by the latest version which was built for Alpha a day or two ago and should've propagated to mirrors by now.

Cheers
Michael.