Re: KDE4 testing on Alpha

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 09:34:05PM +1300, Michael Cree wrote:
> Bob, I've just recompiled iceweasel and icedove with gcc-4.6 and full
> optimisation (other than --no-relax in the linker) and the crashes in
> those two packages have disappeared.  I am sending this message with
> icedove from my Alpha --- the first time I have been able to do this
> since before the release of Lenny!  I suspect that optimisation bugs in
> gcc-4.4 have been fixed in gcc-4.5 and gcc-4.6 but not back-ported to
> gcc-4.4, and on Alpha we are unfortunately still defaulting to gcc-4.4.
>  I wonder if the crashes in KDE are due to bugs in gcc-4.4.

Wonderful news concerning gcc/g++-4.6, and I think rebuilding several of
our (Alpha's) more "questionable" packages would be a worthwhile
exercise.  That being said, my FreeNX KDE4 sessions are fully
operational (with non-optimized qt4-x11): no system lock-ups, nepomuk
running, virtuoso-t running, etc.  Got little pop-up status messages
about indexing the desktop starting, then completing approximately a
minute and a half later without any problems.  There may be other bugs
lurking within the KDE packages, but the system is rock-solid stable as
long as I don't try KDE4 or Gnome-3 on the console.

None of this means we aren't seeing some buggy kernel behavior (kms/drm)
due to kernels built with gcc-4.4 :-(.  I think trying a kernel built
with gcc-4.6 would be a worthwhile exercise, so I'll do that with the
next "-rcX" when that happens.  Have I mentioned lately how much I hate
an untrustworthy tool chain?

Apologies to the kde/qt maintainers for the noise.

--Bob