Re: Beware of new udev

On 26/09/11 19:20, Michael Cree wrote:
> On 26/09/11 06:42, Uwe Schindler wrote:
>> Do you have linux-image-3.0-alpha-generic ? I am also upgrading, but want to
>> make sure I don't break my udev, but maybe it works with 3.0 already?
>
> Yes, I have linux-image-3.0-alpha-generic, nevertheless I was actually
> running a self-compiled kernel.org 3.0.4 kernel.
>
> I suspect it is either a libc6.1 issue or a kernel issue.  Udev is
> calling the access4() function which is returning the 'Not implemented'
> error code.  I note that the eglibc source has a test for kernel version
> 2.6.33-rc4 for the access4 kernel syscall.

Oops.  I meant to say the accept4 syscall.

It is not implemented in the Alpha kernel!  I don't know how we missed
that one.

And glibc source has a comment in the file
./sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/alpha/kernel-features.h that the accept4
syscall is in the Alpha kernel since version 2.6.33-rc1. The author of
that comment (who will know who he is) was sadly misinformed.

I will prepare a kernel patch immediately for this.  It will have to go
upstream first before we can take it back into the Debian kernel as an
official syscall number needs to be allocated.

In the meantime people: if you plan on upgrading your system place a
hold on udev to keep it at version 166-1.

Cheers
Michael.