Re: Update of /ports/alpha/ section of www.debian.org

Hi Francesca,

> I've just updated the /alpha/ pages on www.debian.org which were quite
> outdated. As I've noted that there's some activity here in the ML (so,
> alpha isn't really dead!) it could be IMO a good idea to add some info
> about the current status of the port: the only thing I have written is
> that the port is no longer officially supported in Debian.

Thanks for attending to that.  We didn't know who to approach about the
web pages.

Currently there are no Debian Developers working on the Alpha port.

Those of us left here were disappointed to see that Alpha was dropped.
Indeed some were rather surprised to find Alpha missing in the Squeeze
release and an out-of-date Alpha web-page may have been a contributor to
that.

A number of us Alpha enthusiasts have banded together to work on the
Alpha port and have just got the autobuilder network building on
Debian-Ports.

> I don't know if Helge Kreutzmann and/or Chris Chimelis are still involved
> in the port (they figure as former maintainers of port's pages): if so,
> could you please add some updated info about it?

They are no longer involved.  All the former Debian Alpha Porters seem
to have vanished.

> If not, I'll be glad to help you in updating the pages.

Thanks, that's wonderful.

> And speaking of updating pages, could you please provide me a list of
> people who currently works on the port? I'd need it to close #558752.

Maybe if I mention the people who have currently set up the buildds to
build the Alpha port.  They are:

Michael Cree
Bill McAllister
Witold Baryluk

There are others who have pledge help in testing and reporting bugs and
the like.

We would love to get the Alpha port back into a state that it could be
released with Wheezy.  We realise that that is going to be quite a
challenge.

Cheers
Michael.