Re: [BUG] recent squeeze X11 updates causing SIGSEGV on startup

On 15/09/2009, at 3:11 AM, Bob Tracy wrote:
I'll file a proper bug report later, but thought I'd at least raise the
alarm that X11 on the Alpha became unusable over the weekend after I
applied recent squeeze updates. The X server dies with SIGSEGV (11) on startup. Michael: I'm guessing you've seen this :-). Here's the log...

Actually, I suspect I am seeing a different (but maybe related?) problem. On my PWS600au the Squeeze Xserver locks up at 100% cpu in the inb routine in the int10 module code when using some old Sis video card, and kernel oops, IIRC, with some machine check, when using a Radeon HD2400 video card. I had reported this to the kernel and linux- alpha email lists since I thought the kernel oops was most relevant there.

I never got around to submitting a bug to Debian though...

I have now installed the lastest Xorg from git master - after some patches to the Sis video driver (to provide Alpha specific code for a write memory break) and to export _alpha_inb and friends from the lnx_axp.c file in the xserver, it fails on the PWS600au in exactly the same way as the X server from Debian squeeze.

But the interesting thing is that the latest X server is working correctly on my Compaq XP1000 with Radeon 9250 (or maybe it is a 9200, I forget) video card!

I do have another PWS600au. I have meant to test on that one too but haven't got around to it.

Cheerz
Michael.