Re: squeeze and the future of the alpha port, redux

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 7:52 AM, Oliver Falk <oliver@linux-kernel.at> wrote:
> Steve Langasek wrote:
>>
>> [ ... ] not
>> to mention the serious problems of the port's viability implied by things
>> like the lack of Java support
>
> gcj and openjdk work fine in Fedora. AFAIK, Gentoo also has Java for Alpha.
> So it shouldn't be to hard to get it running on Debian!

In theory, Java should work on Gentoo, but we've never put any effort
into it. I don't think it should be a priority over things like glibc
and X.Org.

>> and the general absence of a porter community.
>
> Well. Gentoo is still porting and Fedora (esp. Jay and /me) also.
>
> [ ... ]
>
> I'd like to mention; *I* often saw patches that helped me solve (Alpha)
> problems on Fedora. So. If there's no Debian Alpha port, my (Fedora Alpha)
> 'work' will get harder :-) Of course not if the Debian Alpha folks switch to
> Fedora... :-P

Looks like this is again a call for a central place for patches. Then
again, there is a serious lack of actual developers for Alpha. I'll
see what I can figure out.

Matt Turner