Need help to fix a LX164 system running 4.0r3

Hi all,

I have a LX164 system which was running debian 4.0r3 alpha.
The system run without any problem before updating some
packages (I don't remember when and what packages I updated.
But I'm sure the date of update was after 10th of this May);
after the update the system stops booting as the following:
  Begin: Mounting root file system... ...
  Begin: Running /scripts/local-tolp ...
  device-mapper: ioctl: 4.7.0-ioctl (2006-06-24) initialised: dm-devel@redhat.com
    3 logical volume(s) in volume group "VolGroup00" now active
  Done.
  Begin: Running /scripts/local-premount ...
  Done.
  kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
  Begin: Running /scripts/local-bottom ...
  Done.
  Done.
  Begin: Running /scripts/init-bottom ...
  mount: Mounting /root/dev on /dev/.static/dev failed: Not a directory
  Done.
  mount: Mounting /sys on /root/sys failed: Invalid argument
  /init: /init: 175: cannot open /root/dev/console: Permission denied

Could someone teach me how to remedy this???
The system has three scsi disks and they are used to
build three logical volumes (used as root, home, and
swap).
I can see the files on the system by booting it with a
installer cd on rescue mode.
# If it's possible to upgrade to 4.0r5 using cd-roms or something else
# and the upgrade will fix the boot failure, I'll do so...

Thanks in advance.

Yours,
Kazuyoshi
--