Re: Succesful and smooth install of Lenny Beta2 on AS DS20

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 01:37:32PM +0200, Gianluca Bonetti wrote:
> As I put everything on XFS filesystems, there is need of a separate /
> boot.
> The installer complains that the /boot should be on ext2 fs, but I
> thought that an ext3 partition works good too (I use /boot on ext3 on a
> PWS)

Experience shows that aboot has problems with directory traversal on ext3
filesystems.  If you have a separate /boot filesystem with the kernels in
the top-level directory, ext3 *does* work; but if your root fs is ext3 and
you don't have a separate /boot partition, it does not work.

Encoding this logic in the installer would have been a bit much; it was more
straightforward to always require ext2 on /boot, since the advantages of
ext3 over ext2 don't generally apply to /boot anyway.

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?users=debian-alpha@lists.debian.org