Re: etch --> lenny upgrade report on Alpha platform

On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 11:09:20AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> A report against upgrade-reports would definitely be useful here, and in
> particular I think we would want a copy of /var/log/apt/term.log covering
> the upgrade attempt in question, to see what packages failed to upgrade and
> why.  (The failing packages should be considered RC-buggy, and fixed before
> the release.)

Arrgh!  I don't know what might cause initialization/truncation of term.log,
but the oldest entry in the file is at least a day after the upgrade failed.
The best I can do at this point is rely on my admittedly faulty memory and
say that the wheels came off the upgrade process during installation of the
Gnome packages.

> > (Xorg radeon driver "DefaultConnectorTable" option required(?) on
> > Alpha and possibly other non-x86 platforms.)
>
> Ah, nice... :)  That sounds like it should be a separate bug report on the
> radeon package, then?

Would you call it a bug, or simply a configuration "detail" that needs to
be noted during installation on non-x86 platforms?  Sheesh...  I'm old enough
to remember having to remind programmers that not all the world is a VAX :-).

I'll *definitely* be filing a bug report on dbus-daemon...  The system
logs are full of the following (which also appear on the console):

dbus-daemon(2382): unaligned trap at 00000200010409fc: 000000011f9d52a1 28 3
dbus-daemon(2382): unaligned trap at 0000020001040a1c: 000000011f9d52a1 2c 1

Similar issue with "radvd", but I reported *that* one (with a code workaround)
back in December 2007 (bug id# 456205).  At least with "radvd", the underlying
issue is use of a character array and later trying to force a particular
structure alignment on it.  The workaround was to force 8-byte (sizeof(size_t))
alignment on the offending array using "__attribute__ ((aligned(8)))".

Bob Tracy          |  "I was a beta tester for dirt.  They never did
rct@frus.com       |   get all the bugs out." - Steve McGrew on /.