Re: aboot vs. linux-image-2.6.24

Hi Tim,

On Fri, May 02, 2008 at 10:00:43AM +0100, Tim Cutts wrote:
> I guess this is mainly aimed at Steve:

> As many of you will have noticed, the ES45 machines
> {albeniz,goetz}.debian.org running standard etch SMP kernels have been
> rather unstable of late.  We'd like to try using the etch-and-a-half
> 2.6.24, but of course this can't be loaded by etch's version of aboot,
> so we will also need to upgrade that to lenny's version of aboot, which I
> believe already has the fixes described in:

> http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/8/14/259

> does it not?

> Anyway, I've been having trouble building this version of aboot on etch.
> It looks like some problems with linux-kernel-headers:

> In file included from isolib.c:10:
> /usr/include/sys/types.h:46: error: conflicting types for 'loff_t'
> /usr/include/linux/types.h:66: error: previous declaration of 'loff_t'
> was here
> /usr/include/sys/types.h:62: error: conflicting types for 'dev_t'
> /usr/include/linux/types.h:32: error: previous declaration of 'dev_t'
> was here
> In file included from /usr/include/sys/select.h:44,
>                  from /usr/include/sys/types.h:216,
>                  from isolib.c:10:
> /usr/include/time.h:119: error: redefinition of 'struct timespec'
> In file included from /usr/include/sys/select.h:46,
>                  from /usr/include/sys/types.h:216,
>                  from isolib.c:10:
> /usr/include/bits/time.h:70: error: redefinition of 'struct timeval'
> In file included from /usr/include/sys/types.h:216,
>                  from isolib.c:10:
> /usr/include/sys/select.h:78: error: conflicting types for 'fd_set'
> /usr/include/linux/types.h:31: error: previous declaration of 'fd_set'
> was here
> In file included from isolib.c:10:
> /usr/include/sys/types.h:231: error: conflicting types for 'blkcnt_t'
> /usr/include/linux/types.h:150: error: previous declaration of
> 'blkcnt_t' was here

> Does this mean we're going to have to upgrade the C library to etch-
> and-a-half to make this work?

Urrgh, argh.

Well, the only bit you need from the new aboot package is the boot block -
perhaps you could extract that from the lenny .deb, and install it to the
disk using swriteboot, without bothering with a backport of the packages?

Otherwise I can look at working around the linux-kernel-headers problems in
aboot, but not for a few days yet; I've just moved house this week and don't
have my alpha set up anywhere yet (I cannot fathom why houses in the 1970s
just weren't built with ethernet to every room...).