Re: Problem installing debian on alpha personal workstation

On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 11:20:08PM +0200, Uwe Schindler wrote:
> Two other ideas:
> a) Use a small Compact Flash Card with and CF-2-IDE Adaptor as /boot
> b) Use an old SCSI-ZIP drive instead of the Floppy and boot from it
>
> I have a AlphaStation using b) (as AlphaStations do not have IDE) and the
> machine boots from a BSD-Partitioned ZIP-100 Disk containing /boot and aboot
> partitions. The root file system is on a very large SATA (!!!) disk running
> with a Silicon Image SATA PCI controller (~10 $) that works perfectly in a
> PCI slot.
> CF cards and (mostly not used) ZIP drives have very low power consumption,
> hard disks spin all the time, even when not used anymore after boot (because
> only /boot is on it).

The CF card would work as long as the CF card does NOT support DMA, well
at least in the case of the many PWS that break when IDE DMA is used.
Some CF cards do, some don't.

I think I would have an easier time finding a 2GB scsi drive than a scsi
zip drive.

--
Len Sorensen