Re: ldconfig (of libc6.1 2.7) caused segfault on alpha

On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 09:41:46AM +0900, Atsuhito Kohda wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 08:48:39 +0900 (JST), Atsuhito Kohda wrote:

> > Under LANG=C ldconfig works fine but under LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8
> > ldconfig causes segfault.

> correction: not ja_JP.UTF-8 but ja_JP.eucJP
> (I don't check yet if ja_JP.UTF-8 causes the problem
> or not.)

Please file this as a bug report on the libc6.1 package, then.

FWIW, I can reproduce this bug on my alpha as well (also an ev56).  But I
can't reproduce it when I also set LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/debug, that
should make this interesting to diagnose...

On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 08:48:39AM +0900, Atsuhito Kohda wrote:
> I believe this is a serious bug, am I right?

I would be inclined to call it "important" rather than serious.  I think
even Japanese now defaults to UTF-8 encoding in the installer, so would
argue that a bug that only occurs with the intersection of one particular
architecture and one particular non-default locale which should be
considered deprecated (due to interoperability problems with data created in
other recommended locales) should not be considered release-critical.

> My alpha machines are so slow and with small HDD
> so I haven't installed UTF-capable terminals.

Hrm?  What terminals are you using that aren't UTF8-capable?