Re: S3 Trio64 support

On 04/11/2007 13:59:54, Gary Lee Phillips wrote:
Thanks for the hints. Unfortunately, without documentation on the
setup of the s3 driver, I'm not sure that it isn't just my error that
keeps it from working. That makes me reluctant to report my problems
as a bug or defect in the software. In fact, I'm still not sure
whether I should be using s3 or s3virge. I've been using
'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg' to try out different X configurations, but I'll give your command a try.

Hello!

You should use s3 driver, s3virge driver is for S3 Virge, not S3 Trio.
Xorg -configure will create automagically a file for your needs.
If it doesn't work with that file, then it is either a bug in the driver, or an unsupported card (strange, but could be)

The other issue, about the text console going dead during boot,
though, seems to be something else. I had this machine running without using the graphics at all. When I first set it up, I didn't have a keyboard and monitor handy for it, so I installed it to use the serial port as a console. I think what must be happening is that the console gets switched to the serial port at just that point, and of course I've disconnected the other terminal from that port. So I need to figure out how to change that. In some distributions it would mean compiling or at least loading a new kernel. I'm not sure in Debian though whether I have to do that or just change a configuration option somewhere. Slackware would let me replace the kernel alone from the installation CD, for instance. But when I tried that with Debian it wanted to repartition the drive and reinstall everything. Obviously that's not my goal, I have the system all set up and customized now.

Of course it doesn't need niether a kernel recompinling nor a setup from install CD. You only have to delete the console redirection setting in aboot.conf, simply delete a setting like "console=ttyS1,115200" from the kernel line.

Bye
gl