Re: S3 Trio64 support

Thanks for the hints. Unfortunately, without documentation on the
setup of the s3 driver, I'm not sure that it isn't just my error that
keeps it from working. That makes me reluctant to report my problems
as a bug or defect in the software. In fact, I'm still not sure
whether I should be using s3 or s3virge. I've been using
'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg' to try out different X configurations,
but I'll give your command a try.

The other issue, about the text console going dead during boot,
though, seems to be something else. I had this machine running without
using the graphics at all. When I first set it up, I didn't have a
keyboard and monitor handy for it, so I installed it to use the serial
port as a console. I think what must be happening is that the console
gets switched to the serial port at just that point, and of course
I've disconnected the other terminal from that port. So I need to
figure out how to change that. In some distributions it would mean
compiling or at least loading a new kernel. I'm not sure in Debian
though whether I have to do that or just change a configuration option
somewhere. Slackware would let me replace the kernel alone from the
installation CD, for instance. But when I tried that with Debian it
wanted to repartition the drive and reinstall everything. Obviously
that's not my goal, I have the system all set up and customized now.

--Gary