Re: [BUG] 2.6.23-rc3 won't boot on alpha (fwd)

On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 08:30:56PM -0500, Bob Tracy wrote:
> Steve Langasek wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 01:36:36PM -0500, Bob Tracy wrote:
> > > Was the issue with using "aboot" for net booting addressed with this patch
> > > set?  I've not had need of that functionality, but I can probably rig up a
> > > test if there's a reason to do so...

> > The patch I applied was strictly for fixing the PT_LOAD issue.  I don't know
> > what net booting issue you're referring to, but it's entirely possible that
> > it's one that was fixed upstream prior to 1.0pre20040408.

> The SRM-HOWTO says netbooting with "aboot" is broken: there's a way to
> make a netbootable (using bootp) image using the kernel source tree
> code under arch/alpha/boot.  As I said, though, I've not had any need
> for that functionality, and I haven't tried it.  It's possible that the
> SRM-HOWTO included with the "aboot" source is out of date and therefore
> mistaken about netbooting being broken.

Ah, that sounds like a bug in the SRM-HOWTO then, yes.  Thanks to Helge, the
aboot package includes a "netabootwrap" command that can be used to make
netbootable images from a kernel and initrd; indeed, this is what's used to
make all of the current netboot images for debian-installer, which is the
primary mode I use for installer testing.

> However, I'm happy to report that your new "aboot" works just fine with
> 2.6.23-rc3.

Cool, thanks for the test.  I'll prepare an upload to unstable shortly.